Still from the video trailer for Rites XXXVILI: The Black Party® "Dark Matter"
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Andy Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org
New York, NY, March 30, 2017 – The Black Party® presented by The Saint At Large® is the most anticipated and most underground event on the gay dance calendar. After decades at Roseland ballroom, The Black Party® will return for its second year in a Brooklyn warehouse. Held just following the vernal equinox, over 4000 attend this annual Rites of Spring fetish bacchanalia. Main room DJs are Byrell The Great, Roi Perez, Boris, Mike Servito, Naeem Johnson, and Johnny Dynell. Strap yourselves in, it’s gonna be a banging night!
The Saint at Large® presents Rites XXXVIII: The Black Party®
Saturday April 1, 2017 • 10PM Saturday – 6PM Sunday
NEW VENUE: 641 W. 50th St, New York, NY 10019
Strange Live Acts • Dress: Heavy
12 DJs • 20 Hour Event
21+ Valid ID Required
NO CAMERAS, NO CELLPHONES
1. The first Black Party® was held in1980 at the private gay disco, Flamingo, on the second floor of a building on the SW corner of Broadway & Houston. The following year it moved to the new members only gay club, The Saint at 105 Second Avenue at 6th Street. Constructed within the premises of the famous Sixties rock-n-roll venue Fillmore East (Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, The Doors, etc.), The Saint At Large’s namesake is considered one of the most futuristic, architecturally and sonically sophisticated clubs (gay or straight) ever built. (Watch the “Stories of The Saint” mini documentary series and see photos here.)
Weekly from 1980-1988, under the club’s domed, perfectly circular dancefloor, lit by a planetarium robot, and driven by a 500 speaker, 26,000 watt sound system, underground gay DJs took 3000+ men on a 12-hour musical journey commonly referred to as The Saint Trip.
Following the closure of The Saint in 1988, The Black Party® was held for 2 more years at a stripped down version of the club before settling into a 24-year run at Roseland Ballroom. In the aftermath of the razing of Roseland, The Black Party® moved to a Brooklyn warehouses in 2015 and 2016, while 2017 sees a return of the party to Manhattan.
2. World Class DJs. Arguably, the best DJs on the planet have played The Black Party® and this year is no exception. Each year, The Saint At Large strives to feature a decidedly progressive stable of artists reflective of current musical trends in dance capitals such as Berlin, Montreal and, of course, the New York City underground scene. The 2017 main room DJs are Byrell The Great, Roi Perez, Boris, Mike Servito, Naeem Johnson, Johnny Dynell. See the full DJ line-up, including the Lunar Lounge DJs here.
3. The infamous Strange Live Acts. Did someone say flying fuck? Flesh hook suspension? Hot wax ritual? Japanese rope bondage? You get the picture (though cameras are not permitted).
4. What happens at The Black Party® stays at The Black Party®. No press, cameras or phones will be admitted to The Black Party®. No one wants to see their ass in a sling—at least on Facebook—so attendees are asked to respect each other’s privacy and freedom of expression. Phones and cameras must be checked at the door. Security will confiscate the mobile device of any patron violating the no cellphone policy. Busted patrons can claim their phones at the end of the event after deleting all images from their phone, cloud, etc. There will be a separate phone check area before coat check.
5. Old Club, New Tricks. For 2017 we took over an old Manhattan club space and created something appropriately amazing for our fiercely imaginative patrons. 3 bars, rooftop open to the air, warm weather, a party packed with hot guys in fetish gear looking for fantasy, the alien theme, Alien bar, full-floor Lunar Lounge, and that this is a safe bubble for like-minded people, that we have created (in a scary political climate),
Still from the video trailer for Rites XXXVIII: The Black Party® "Dark Matter"
6. Women welcome! In fact, it’s the women who are often more extreme than the men. (Cue sound of cracking whip.)
7. Oh, the things you’ll see! We mean the visuals by conceptual artist Rob Roth. If you loved his Black Party trailer video, that’s just the tip of the butt plug, but, as Roth says, it’s really the audience that makes the party so spectacular and he’s counting on patrons “serving the fierce dress code” to complete the picture. Check the post party video from last year's Black Party® below:
8. Safe, sexy, security! A bit skittish about sashaying to the party in high-whore-leather? Not to worry, The Saint At Large has its very our own security team in place, hand picked and trained to create a safe, fetish-friendly Black Party experience for attendees.
9. Hard for 20 Hours. This year's black party goes hard and long for 20 hours. After-hours admission after 9am is just $50, and the doors are open til 6pm Sunday. Many smart party pros get a full night's sleep, then come in fresh for nine hours of daytime dancing and cruising. Also, if you're 26 or under, get in for only $60 (at door, cash only before 1AM and After 4AM).
10. You’ll be legendary. Probably for a number of reasons, but the one you can actually talk about will be that you’ve attended the worlds longest running, most elaborately produced, fetish party: The Black Party®.